Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Social, Academic and Vocational Update

Well here's an update:

Social Activities Update : The National Scripps Spelling Bee was on last Friday. I watched it and was amazed at how an eleven year old could spell very long words that most people didn't even know (for instance gnocchi).My mom was commenting that she thought there was a lot of Aspies in the spelling bee. I did notice a lot of them came from Private schools or were Home Schooled.

I was supposed to go out to the movies with an Individual from the Autism Pilot Program, but I had a bout of Food Poisoning. So I cancelled the plan to see the movie with her for that day and we are going to reschedule.

On Sunday, I didn't do any social activities, but studied and relaxed at home.

On Monday, I got two movies from the Local Library that aren't available from Netflix Instant,which I have. The movies are called Being Julia and Braveheart.


This Weekend is my sister Leah Habib's High School Graduation. She is graduating from prviate school and is going to UVM. I got her a gift, typed her a letter from the heart and a card.

My Half- Sister Lauren Cutler has her 8th wedding Anniversary today. I sent out the card last week and I will call them today.

Academics Update:

My reading response paper is due on Thursday June 10Th. This is a 4 question response to a web article that is on the Celtic Queen Boudicca and her uprising against the Romans. I had a Campus Writing Center Appointment today. The tutor said I needed to shorten the page length, work on the MLA format, continue working on questions three and four, and I should be golden.

My first DRC weekly was on Monday. I informed my advisor that I wanted a copy of guidelines for the DRC mentoring listserv I signed up for. The listserv is for DRC students who want to mentor incoming students with disabilities. My weekly went well and she gave me some tips to further enhance my studying. I told her that studying at a table at the Library with a timer has worked very well.

My Midterm is on Monday June 14Th 2010 at the DRC.

Vocational Update:

On Monday in DDS Social Skills Group, I practiced my mock Interviewing Skills with others after everyone in the group discussed there week and weekend. My commentary specific to me included the following: Posture related issues (Putting hand on face,etc.) and Enthusiasm (positive comment). I did this after mentioning I went to a BRS Prep Rally with my support coordinator and recieved some critical feedback (Posture related issues, Disclosure Issues,Maintaining Eye Contact, Looking down at my resume while interviewing and entuisiasiasm) .

I am still volunteering at Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen (DESK) every thrusday. I enjoy the volunteer work.

I meet with my BRS counselor regarding Job Placements on June 23rd. I am going to talk to her about other stuff as well such as Workforce Alliance and Hamden Adult Ed classes. I will email her about the Connecticut Computer Assistants classes and the info on how to contact them as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment